Walking with Jesus through His Word
Discovering Christ in All the Scriptures
What connects the whole Bible into one purposeful story?
Dennis Johnson takes readers of the Bible on a journey of discovery through the Old and New Testaments, pointing out a network of trails in the text. These are recurring themes that link different parts of the Bible to Jesus the Christ, the fulfiller of God’s promises and redeemer of God’s people.
Dennis emphasizes how each biblical passage must be read in its close and canonical contexts, revealing the Bible’s identity as a book about a relationship—the covenant between God and his people. This helps us to see Christ and his mission as a pattern that emerges naturally throughout the tapestry of Scripture.
God embedded in Israel’s history events, individuals, institutions, and offices that foreshadowed Christ, his saving work, and his church. Those landmarks point the way to Jesus, who reveals the Father, reconciles us by his sacrifice, and rules us by his Word and Spirit.
“Dennis Johnson has poured his decades of research, teaching, and life into one volume that reignites our passion for Bible study. For anyone wanting to see how the Bible fits together, this book is a treasure.”
— Michael S. Horton, J. Gresham Machen Professor of Systematic Theology and Apologetics, Westminster Seminary California
“Johnson shows us how we can read the Bible ourselves in a Christ-centered way and how this approach enriches our understanding of the Word of God.”
— John M. Frame, Professor of Systematic Theology and Philosophy, Reformed Theological Seminary
About the Author
Dennis E. Johnson (ThM, Westminster Theological Seminary; PhD, Fuller Theological Seminary) is professor of practical theology at Westminster Seminary California. He is also an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church in America, author of The Message of Acts in the History of Redemption, and a contributor to numerous books and theological journals.
Table of Contents
- The Walk Through the Bible that Sets Hearts Afire
- Learning to Read the Bible from the Bible: Biblical Texts in Their Contexts
- Previews Embedded in Life: Types and Their Fulfillment in Scripture
- The Covenant Fabric of the Bible: The Book of Divine-Human Bonding
- Jesus the Strong and Faithful Lord: Sovereign Protector of His People
- Jesus the Submissive, Suffering Servant: Our Covenant-Keeper and Curse-Bearer
- The Final Prophet: God’s Word
- Jesus our Great High Priest: God’s Presence
- Jesus the King of Kings: God’s Rule
- How Walking with Jesus Through His Word Changes Us
Appendix: Themes Linked to the Three Theocratic Offices