The World-Tilting Gospel
Embracing a Biblical Worldview and Hanging on Tight
The first generation of Christians turned the world upside down. But the church today is being turned upside down by the world. Why? And why aren’t we-with all our social medias and high-tech gadgets-more effectively producing Christ-centered, Gospel-liberated, biblically-instructed, world-tilting believers?
In The World-Tilting Gospel, popular blogger Dan Phillips lays out four reasons why the first believers had more impact on their culture than today’s church has on contemporary society. Using a whole-Bible approach to the Gospel, Phillips shows who we really are, what kind of world we are really living in, who God really is, and what difference the Gospel really makes in our everyday lives. Drawing from decades of studying the Bible’s Hebrew and Greek texts, Dan Phillips offers a conversational and engaging challenge to embrace a biblical worldview-and hang on tight.
“Pick this book up, flip to any page, and start reading. You won’t want to put it down.”
— Robert L. Plummer, author of 40 Questions About Interpreting the Bible
“This book is a great tonic for the postmodern tendencies that poison so many young minds today.”
— Phil Johnson, Executive Director of Grace to You Ministries and cofounder of the Pyromaniacs blog
“Dan Phillips is both easy and edifying to read. The World-Tilting Gospel is a sound introduction to what it means to be followers of Jesus Christ. I recommend it widely.”
— Ligon Duncan, President of the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals
About the Author
Dan Phillips (MDiv, Talbot Theological Seminary) has taught seminary and college classes in New Testament studies, Hebrew, and Old Testament theology. He presents seminars on Proverbs and the Sovereignty of God and written several tracts and hosted a radio talk show. With an ongoing conference and pulpit ministry, Dan is most broadly known for his writing on the Pyromaniacs blog, with Phil Johnson and Frank Turk (teampyro.blogspot.com), and at his own blog, Biblical Christianity (bibchr.blogspot.com). Dan pastors Copperfield Bible Church in Houston, Texas, where he and his wife Valerie raise their four children.
Part 1: Who Are We? Getting at the Truth of our Identities
- 1) Knowing God and Man: Which Comes First? What Difference Does it Make?
- 2) What Happened in the Garden? Where We Are, Baby – Created, Tested, Ruined – We’re Ours
- 3) Like Father, Like Son: Any Hope That was an Isolated Incident?
Part 2: What Has God Done for Us? The Eternal Plan Conceived, Predicted, Executed
- 4) The God Who Plans: Can’t Grasp the Deed without a Glimpse of the Door
- 5) God’s Rescue Operation Outlined: God’s Holy, Loving Wisdom Confronts our Hopeless, Desperate Need
- 6) God’s Rescued Operation Executed: God Enters Enemy Territory to Seek and to Save
Part 3: How Do We Get In? A Tale of Two Towering Truths
- 7) First Towering Truth – Declared Righteous: How God Deals with our Bad Record
- 8) Second Towering Truth – Born from Above: How God Deals with our Bad Nature
Part 4: How Do We Get Going? Preparing to Launch
- 9) The Struggle of New Life: Growth is Hard
- 10) Gutless Gracers and Crisis Upgraders: Two Misguided Mind-Sets that are Barriers to Genuine Christian Growth
- 11) The Quagmire of Muzzy Mysticism: Shall we Melt into Christ and Limply “Let” Him Live Through Us?
- 12) What About the Flesh? Christians’ Biggest Problem Isn’t External
- 13) What About the Holy Spirit? Demystifying the Mysterious Person of the Trinity
- 14) Culmination: Putting It All Together
Afterword: What Did You Just Do?