The Works of Jonathan Edwards
Widely recognized as a great theologian, an influential preacher and a prolific writer, Jonathan Edwards played a prominent role in helping to spark the spirit of revivalism known as the Great Awakening in the eighteenth-century America. Edwards’ sermons, while intellectually engaging, were also accessible to the common people and often generated highly emotional responses. His foremost desire was to help people transform from mere believers in Christian doctrine to converted Christians who were moved to action by the principles of their belief. The Works of Jonathan Edwards are a treasure for any serious student of the Word of God.
This two-volume collection of Edwards’ works features important sermons of the Great Awakening as well as Edwards’ memoirs and other essays. First published in 1834, here is what makes this new edition of The Works of Jonathan Edwards the best available:
Readable, improved typesetting
More readable. This edition has larger, more readable type than previous editions.
More complete. This edition contains everything in the first collected American edition and original extracts from his diary and papers. Further, several shorter writings as printed originally in a separate form, and a memoir by descendant Sereno E. Dwight.
For anyone interested in the roots of Christianity and revival in colonial America, The Works of Jonathan Edwards is a fundamental resource.
“Jonathan Edwards was among the noblest and ablest Christians of his age. He can now be seen, two centuries after, as one of the greatest theologians ever given by God to his church. As a saint and scholar, evangelist and educationalist, pastor and teacher, missionary and metaphysician, he showed a grasp of the grandeur of God’s sovereignty and the glory of divine grace equaled only by men of the caliber of John Owen and John Calvin.”
— J. I. Packer, author of Knowing God
“Edwards is widely recognized as being probably the greatest American theologian. His writings, though sometimes difficult, are often inspiring. Full doctrinal agreement is not a prerequisite to profiting from this great man of God.”
— Christianity Today
Table of Contents
(Complete table not shown below – only a sampling)
Includes all of Edwards’s major works, any many lesser-known writings, such as:
- A Careful And Strict Inquiry Into The Prevailing Notions Of The Freedom Of Will
- Dissertation On The End For Which God Created The World
- A Treatise Concerning Religious Affections, In Three Parts
- A Dissertation On The Nature Of True Virtue
- The Great Christian Doctrine Of Original Sin Defended
- Narrative Of Surprising Conversions
- Thoughts On The Revival Of Religion In New England
- A History Of The Work Of Redemption
- Inquiry Concerning Qualifications For Communion
- Five Discourses On The Soul’s Eternal Salvation
- Numerous Sermons on various subjects
- An Humble Attempt To Promote Explicit Agreement
- Distinguishing Marks Of A Work Of The Spirit Of God
- Life and Diary of the Rev. David Brainerd
- Types of the Messiah