The Two Edges of the Sword
Distinguishing Between Law and Grace in the Kingdom of God
In Revelation 1, John saw a vision of Jesus as the Head of the church, called “One like the Son of Man.” He appeared to John as an awesome, powerful, victorious warrior, with the keys to Death and Hell by which He would empty them, and a two-edged sword coming out of His mouth, representing His Word that would do so. Obviously, that sword coming out of Jesus’ mouth in Revelation 1 represents His words, the very Word of God, recorded for us in the Bible. It is interesting that in Hebrews 4:12 the Word of God is again represented by a sword, able to cut us open and discern our hearts. This implies the conviction leading to conversion, and again the sword is said to have two edges.
Andrews’s Two Edges of the Sword are:
- 1.) The holy, righteous law of God and
- 2.) His gospel of grace revealed at the cross
These are the two components of God’s Word. They are twins, but fraternal, not identical twins, with directly opposite personalities. They have been assigned by God totally different jobs to perform in our lives, but both jobs are indispensably necessary. Clearly understanding and then differentiating in experience the distinction between these two aspects God’s Word is essential in learning to walk by faith. They form the foundation to consistently experience the love, joy and peace that is our heritage as Christians and position us to fulfill the purpose for which we were created.
This book deals at length with this crucial issue. It is divided into three sections of three chapters each—the law, the gospel and the kingdom. Each of these topics is discussed in detail showing how, when used properly, they become indispensable tools God is using in our lives to bring us into maturity in Him.
As the church learns the importance and the jurisdictional limits of each, the kingdom of God will cover the earth, thus answering the Lord’s prayer and accomplishing God’s eternal purpose.
Part 1: The Law
- 1) Too Much of a Good Thing? What, When, How Much, and to Whom Does the Law of God Apply?
- 2) Do Fence Me In: The Law of God as an External Guide
- 3) The Mirror Doesn’t Lie: The Law of God as My Internal Guide
Part 2: The Gospel of Grace
- 4) Too Good to Be True? The Gospel of Jesus Christ
- 5) Taste and See: Experiencing the Good News
- 6) Keep on Keepin’ On: Living in the Gospel of Jesus Christ
Part 3: The Kingdom of God
- 7) The Forest Beyond the Trees: The Kingdom of God
- 8) Kingdom, Kingdom, Who Has the Kingdom?
- 9) God and Sons, Inc.