The Torments of Hell
Jonathan Edwards on Eternal Damnation
William Nichols has done us a great service into the 21st century, by collecting and putting these sermons into publication, which Edwards preached nearly 300 years ago. These were called “awakening” sermons in their time, bringing eternal realities starkly to the attention of the hearers, so that we might be moved to self-examination. When it comes to the Puritan goal of “unsettling the secure”, “motivating the lethargic”, and “inspiring the seeker”, Edwards was peerless.
Hell has fallen on hard times in the modern evangelical church. Many pastors and evangelists do not even mention the word hell in their sermons and when they do it is often described only as a place of separation from God. What unconverted person would not greatly desire to be separated from God in eternity? There is great need to return to the evangelism of Jonathan Edwards who unashamedly preached the biblical doctrine of hell. The Torments of Hell: Jonathan Edwards on Eternal Damnation contains 14 sermons by Jonathan Edwards arranged in a sequential order to progressively outline what the Bible teaches about hell. There is commentary on each one of the manuscripts by William C. Nichols comparing and contrasting the modern teaching on hell to Edwards’ teaching. Most of the sermons in this book have never been published prior to 2005.
- That Wicked Men Are the Children of the Devil
- The Wicked Hereafter Will Be Cast Into a Furnace of Fire
- That the Bodies of Wicked Men as Well as Their Souls Will Be Punished Forever in Hell
- That the Punishment and Misery of Wicked Men in Another World Will Be in Proportion to the Sin that They Are Guilty Of
- Wicked Men in Hell Will Remember How Things Were With Them Here in this World
- They That Are Gone to Hell Are All of Them in Despair
- In Hell Is Inflicted the Fierceness of the Wrath of a Being That Is Almighty
- The Wicked in Hell Will Be Sensible What a Happy State the Saints Are in in Heaven
- The End of the Wicked Contemplated by the Righteous
- The Reason Why Men No More Regard Warnings of Future Punishment Is Because It Don’t Seem Real to Them