Sweethearts for a Lifetime
Making the Most of Your Marriage
This biblical, practical book, from the author of the best-selling Strengthening Your Marriage, will help couples restore warmth and vitality to their marriages. Written both for newlyweds and for those who have long been married, Sweethearts for a Lifetime will certainly become a classic for years to come.
“Christian marriages are meant to get better over time. It is for want of knowing and applying the truths Wayne Mack has spelled out so well in this book that many marriages do not.” —Martin Holdt, Pastor, Constantia Park Baptist Church
“This book roots marriage in Christ and the gospel! In separate sections, devoted to men and women, it identifies the callings God has clearly given each in Scripture. Read and re-read it as a couple together!” — Tedd Tripp, author of Shepherding A Child’s Heart
“In whatever state you see your own marriage, I am confident you will find here the principles you have searched for as you seek to reflect Jesus Christ’s relationship to His bride – the church.”
— Lance Quinn, Pastor, Bible Church of Little Rock
About the Authors
Wayne A. Mack is professor of biblical counseling at Strengthening Ministries Training Institute and director of Association of Certified Biblical Counselors—Africa. He has written over twenty-five books, including Preparing for Marriage God’s Way.
Carol Mack has spoken and participated in many marriage and family seminars and retreats for women. She has been a pastor’s wife for over 50 years and a spiritual mentor for many younger ladies. She regularly teaches women’s bible studies in South Africa and is very involved in the counseling ministry along with Wayne.
Table of Contents
Part 1: How to Keep a Good Marriage Going
- 1) Committing to God’s Purposes in Marriage
- 2) Let’s Be Friends
- 3) Don’t Forget About the Children
- 4) Workers Together
- 5) An Overlooked Aspect of God’s Blueprint
- 6) One Plus One Equals One
- 7) More About Oneness
- 8) Obstacles to Oneness
- 9) Be a Bargain
- 10) Your Spouse, a Priority
- 11) Leaving Involves Putting Off
- 12) Leaving Involves Putting On
- 13) The Parents’ Side of Leaving
- 14) Other Types of Leaving
- 15) Purity is Essential
- 16) Every Marriage Needs Some Hedges
- 17) More About Hedges
- 18) Good Marriages Require Some Perspiration
- 19) Till Death Us Do Part
- 20) The Most Important Factor
- 21) Overcoming Obstacles to Christ’s Preeminence
Part 2: The Fulfilled and Fulfilling Husband
- 22) Husbanding Involves Being a Real Lover
- 23) Why Do Husbands Fail to Love?
- 24) More Reasons for Husbands’ Love Failures
- 25) Even More Reasons for Husbands’ Love Failures
- 26) Loving Involves Cherishing and Nourishing
- 27) Loving Involves Following History’s Greatest Example of Love
- 28) Husbanding Involves Leadership
- 29) Husbanding Involves Being a Learner
Part 3: The Fulfilled and Fulfilling Wife
- 30) Is Submission a Dirty Word?
- 31) Three Family Plans
- 32) No, It Doesn’t Mean …
- 33) What Keeps Wives from Doing It?
- 34) Yes, It Does Mean ….
- 35) Let’s Get Practical
- 36) Be Your Husband’s Helper
- 37) Be Your Husband’s Friend
- 38) More on Friendship
- 39) Be Your Husband’s Colaborer
- 40) Be Your Husband’s Commender
- 41) Be Your Husband’s Challenger, Counselor, and Crown
Appendix: Biblically Sound Resources for Marriage and Family Enrichment and/or Counseling