Springs in the Valley
365 Daily Devotional Readings
In print for more than 60 years, this beloved and classic daily devotional challenges readers on the themes of hope, faith, and personal revival. Mrs. Charles Cowman knew well about life’s dark valleys. She knew, too, about God’s living waters that bubble up in the midst of the bleak times, bringing refreshment and joy to the thirsty traveler. Springs in the Valley is her insights into the character of God, drawn carefully from the Scriptures, with a full years’ worth of daily meditations.
About the Author
Lettie Burd Cowman (March 3, 1870 – April 17, 1960), also known as L.B. Cowman, was an American writer and author devotional books, choosing to publish her books typically under the author name Mrs. Charles E. Cowman. She was also one of the cofounders of the Oriental Missionary Society, later known simply as OMS International, and eventually One Mission Society. Her two best-known works were Streams in the Desert and Springs in the Valley.
She served with her husband in Japan as a missionary until his illness forced the couple to return to the United States.
If modern devotional writings leave you empty and seem to lack something, we have numerous other classic devotionals from previous eras, including for instance:
- Morning and Evening, Charles H. Spurgeon
- Cheque Book of the Bank of Faith, also Charles H. Spurgeon
- Voices from the Past, various Puritan authors
- Psalm 119, Charles Bridges
- Flowers from a Puritan’s Garden, a Thomas Manton collection gathered by Spurgeon
- Heavenly Springs, Andrew Bonar
- The Valley of Vision, various Puritan authors
- A Journey Toward Heaven, Jonathan Edwards
- Heart Aflame, John Calvin
- Morning Exercises for Everyday in the Year, William Jay