Speaking Truth in Love
Counsel in Community
You probably speak 20,000 words a day, give or take, and each one influences those who listen. No wonder God has so much to say about our words. We are all counselors, whether we realize it or not!
Speaking Truth in Love is a blueprint for communication that strengthens community in Christ. The principles outlined in this pivotal work are specific to counseling, yet extend to marriage, family, friendship, business, and the church.
- Have you ever wondered how to be a more effective counselor?
- Have you ever looked for a better way to talk to difficult people?
- Or have you ever wanted to express faith and love more naturally in your relationships?
Practical in its approach yet comprehensive in its scope, Speaking Truth in Love is sure to become required reading for anyone interested in pursuing a career as a counselor or anyone else who longs for ways to redeem relationships.
About the Author
David Powlison, M.Div., Ph.D. is Executive Director of Christian Counseling & Educational Foundation (CCEF) as well as a CCEF faculty member and Senior Editor of The Journal of Biblical Counseling. He holds a Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania, as well as an M.Div. from Westminster Theological Seminary.
David has been counseling for over thirty years and has written numerous articles on biblical counseling and on the relationship between faith and psychology. His books include Speaking Truth in Love; Seeing with New Eyes; Power Encounters: Reclaiming Spiritual Warfare; and The Biblical Counseling Movement: History and Context. His minibook titles include Facing Death with Hope; Healing after Abortion; Recovering from Child Abuse; and Renewing Marital Intimacy.
David has taught across the United States and in Korea, India, Brazil, Europe, and Sri Lanka. He blogs periodically at CCEF and The Gospel Coalition.
- Suffering and Psalm 119
- The Facts of Life
- Hearing the Music of the Gospel
- How Healthy is Your Preparation?
- What Questions Do You Ask?
- Think Globally, Act Locally
- Illustrative Counseling
- Talk Incessantly? Listen Intently
- How Do You Help a “Psychologized” Counselee?
- What is “Ministry of the Word”?
- Counseling in the church
- What Will You Ask for?
- Pastoral Counseling
- counseling Under the Influence of the X Chromosome
- Do You Ever Refer?
- Why I Chose Seminary for Counseling Training
- Affirmations and Denials
Closing Essay: Companions on the Long March