The Original Blue Back Speller
Teach your children from one of the most influential Christian textbooks in history! The great American educator Noah Webster first published A Grammatical Institute of the English Language, which came to be generally known by the name The Blue Back Speller in 1783. His goal was to provide a uniquely American, Bible-based approach to training children.
Little did he know that this remarkable gem would become a staple among parents and educators for more than a century and would help to build the most literate nation in the history of the West. Many of the Founding Fathers used this book to home school their children, including Benjamin Franklin who taught his granddaughter to read, spell, and pronounce words using what was known as “Old Blue Back.” The Original Blue Back Speller is a facsimile edition!
- Analysis of Sounds in the English Language
- Tables of words of one syllable, two, three, four, or five syallables
- Difficult and irregular monosyllables
- Lessons based on each the above
- Collected Poems
- Various Stories, with their Morals
- Additional Lessons on Domestic Economy: Or, The History of Thrifty and Unthrifty
- A Moral Catechism, with lessons on Humility, Mercy, Peacemaking, Purity of Heart, Anger, Revenge, Justice, Generosity, Truth, and more.
- Of the boy that stole apples
- The country maid and her milk pail
- The fox and the swallow
- The cat and the rat
- The fox and the bramble
- The bear and the two friends
- The two dogs
- The partial judge
- The boy that went to the woods to look for bird’s nests, when he should have gone to school
- The history of the creation of the world