Held in Honor
Wisdom for Your Marriage from Voices of the Past
Are you ever disappointed in your spouse? Do you fight? Do you disagree about money, sex, or in-laws? What if the very struggles you are facing were addressed by thoughtful Christians hundreds of years ago?
In Held in Honor, you will find 50 devotional reflections on marriage carefully selected from 2,000 years of church history. Alongside each inspiring historical quote is a brief introduction to the person quoted and an accompanying biblical reflection.
You are not alone in your marriage. The Lord has provided encouragement, correction, and hope in his Word. Held in Honor aims to strengthen you by pointing you to the promises of God’s Word and by showing you how past generations have applied this life-giving message to their own marriages.
From the Contents
For just a sampling from the extensive contents (over 40 marriages in Christian history are covered!), they include:
- Love Your Wife – Ignatius of Antioch (A. D. 107)
- Surviving a Bad Marriage (Justin Martyr, A. D. 100-165)
- How Beautiful the Marriage of Two Christians (Tertullian, A. D. 160-200)
- Imitate Christ in Loving Your Spouse (Gregory the Great, 540-604)
- A Good Wife (Bartholomew of England, 1203-1272)
- How to Improve Your Husband (Desiderius Erasmus, 1466-1536)
- What the World Says About Marriage (Martin Luther, 1483-1546)
- Peace Leads to Prayer (John Calvin, 1509-1564)
- Season Your Actions with Love (William Gouge, 1575-1653)
- Guarding Against the Enemy (John Milton, 1608-1674)
- To My Dear and Loving Husband (Anne Bradstreet, 1612-1672)
- A Visit with the Edwards Family (George Whitefield, 1714-1770)
- On Marrying a Minister (Charles Spurgeon, 1834-1892)
- Your Real Soul Mate (J. R. R. Tolkien, 1892-1973)
- Two Stubborn Pieces of Iron (G. K. Chesterton, 1874-1936)
- After the Honeymoon (Elisabeth Elliot, 1926-2015)
- Above All Consider Christ (Dr. D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, 1899-1981)
- Why Promiscuity is Wrong (Francis Schaeffer, 1912-1984)
- The Beauty of Covenant-Keeping Love (John Piper, 1946 — )
- … and many more!
About the Authors
Matthew D. Haste is Associate Professor of Ministry Studies at Columbia International University Seminary and School of Ministry, Columbia, South Carolina
Robert L. Plummer is professor of New Testament Interpretation at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky. He also serves as an elder at Sojourn Community Church and is author of 40 Questions About Interpreting the Bible.
“As a woman engaged to be married for the first time (in my mid-50s), who loves classic Christian writings and devotional literature, I have found this book to be a treasure trove. A sweet and timely source of wisdom as I seek to honor Christ in a new season and station of life.” — Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth, Author, Revive Our Hearts & radio host, Niles, Michigan
“Held in Honor is an easy to read devotional drawing on the wisdom of the past concerning the many issues related to marriage and how scripture speaks to them. This is an enjoyable read and proves that Christians of the past have as much to teach us about marriage as those in the present. This book will help you gain a greater appreciation for voices of the past in regards to the churches teaching on marriage.” — The Journal for Biblical Manhood and Womanhood