An English Family in the American Wilderness
Adapted from the acclaimed book A True Picture of Emigration
In 1831, Rebecca Burlend, with her husband and five small children, said goodbye to their homeland of Yorkshire, England. After years of struggle to survive as tenant farmers they decided it was time to emigrate to America. An English Family in the American Wilderness is an audio based on her book, which became a best seller in England and the United States during the mid 1800s.
Read by Victoria Botkin – on 2 Audio CDs
This is Rebecca’s first-hand account of moving to a new country. The listener can feel the anguish of standing on the deck of a ship and watching one’s homeland disappear into the distance. The harrowing experience of crossing the Atlantic and the pioneer’s experience of a truly New World are told with stirring emotion. Then they arrived to carve out a living in the virgin wilderness of the interior of the continent.
You will be touched by their family’s struggle which, thorough unrelenting labor led eventually to prosperity. An English Family in the American Wilderness is a true picture of the stark beauty, hard work, and hope of the pioneer adventure.
About Victoria Botkin
Victoria Botkin is a mother of seven, with thirty years of home educating experience. She also teaches an audio series for ladies, She Shall be Called Woman. Drawing from years of reading aloud to own her children, she also narrates The War in Our Front Yard: The War Between the States as Seen by Women Who Were There. Victoria and her husband Jeff have six children. Their family operates the ministry known as Western Conservatory of the Arts and Sciences.
Other Audios by the Botkins
- The War in Our Front Yard: The War Between the States as Seen by Women Who Were There, narrated from original source writings by Victoria Botkin
- Abigail Adams, Her Letters: A Colonial Woman’s Eyewitness Account of America’s Founding
- What Our Father Taught us About Boys by Anna Sofia & Elizabeth Botkin
- What Our Father Taught us About Girls by Isaac, David, & Benjamin Botkin
- Curriculum Advice, Part 1 and Part 2 by Victoria Botkin
- She Shall be Called Woman by Victoria Botkin