Education: Does God Have an Opinion?
A Biblical Apologetic for Christian Education and Homeschooling
Since the beginning of the 20th century, the vast majority of Christians have embraced the idea that it is a proper role and function of the civil government to control and guide the education of children. Most Christians believe God doesn’t care, one way or the other, how our children are schooled or what methods are employed. This book will use Scripture to prove otherwise. What you read in this book will radically challenge your assumptions and preconceived ideas.
- Discover the true purpose of an education and how this affects and influences students
- Explore a truly Biblical philosophy of education and how it compares to traditional schooling
- Learn to apply a Biblical worldview strategically and systematically to core subjects of education
There is almost no topic that is as relevant to the future of Christianity or as controversial as who teaches our children and what they are taught. Students in school classrooms spend thousands of hours being instructed by people who are not their parents. There is almost no way to calculate what a powerful force this is for influence.
From rules to help students reason to information that will help you be a more effective teacher, this book shows the vital importance of “why” in asking students to learn the “what” and “how” of any subject. The future of your child’s education and, therefore, his or her life is ultimately in your hands as a parent. Open your mind and your heart to God’s Word and His truth. Much is at stake. Ask Him to give you discernment to help you understand how He sees this crucial issue.
- How to Use This Book
- PART ONE: The Apologetic
- 1. The Purpose of an Education
- 2. What about Government Schooling?
- 3. What about Socialization?
- 4. Christian Schools vs. Homeschooling
- 5. What about Homeschooling?
- 6. Biblical Worldview Education
- PART TWO: The Core Subjects
- 7. Curriculum: Tools for Building
- 8. Precept, Principle, Person, Practice
- 9. Logic
- 10. Mathematics
- 11. Science
- 12. Philosophy and Apologetics
- 13. Social Studies
- 14. The Arts: Art, Music, and Film
- 15. Language Arts
- 16. Literature
- 17. History
- 18. Government
- I. Robin Hood and the Government Schools
- II. What the Bible Says about Christian Education
About the Author
Israel Wayne is an author and conference speaker who has a passion for defending the Christian faith and promoting a Biblical worldview. He is the author of the books Homeschooling from a Biblical Worldview, Full-Time Parenting: A Guide to Family-Based Discipleship, Questions God Asks, Questions Jesus Asks, Pitchin’ A Fit! Overcoming Angry & Stressed-Out Parenting, and Education: Does God Have an Opinion?
Israel has been a regular columnist for The Old Schoolhouse Magazine, Home School Digest, Home School Enrichment and Brush Arbor Quarterly magazines. Since 1995, Israel has traveled the nation speaking on family, homeschooling, revival, discipleship, and cultural issues.