A Greek Hupogrammon
A Beginner’s Copybook for the Greek Alphabet with Pronounciation
A remarkable tool for learning the Greek alphabet and pronunciation system in a simple yet comprehensive way. Features of A Greek Hupogrammon include:
- Designed to correspond with Harvey Bluedorn’s other volume, A Greek Alphabetarion
- Practice writing all Greek letters and marks, including accents, breathers, and obsoletes.
- Practice finding Greek letters in words and sentences.
- A variety of exercises in different formats.
- Practice identifying the sounds of Greek letters and Greek vowel combinations.
- Practice reading and writing words and sentences in Greek, including eleven pages of numerals.
- Answer key to exercises in the back.
- A consumable workbook — you will need one for each student.
- For ages 8 and up.
A Review from Kathy Davis:
If you are planning on teaching your kids ancient Greek, this copybook will prove very useful. A Greek Hupogrammon is a consumable workbook that gives the beginning student generous practice in writing Ancient Greek words, marks, and sentences. Though designed to correspond with A Greek Alphabetarion (also by Harvey Bluedorn), the Hupogrammon is comprehensive enough to be used alone. However, the two books do compliment each other quite nicely, and the student would gain extra benefit by using them together.
The alphabet exercises in the Hupogrammon begin with an example of a capital and lowercase Greek letter with a corresponding scripture. The student then finds the letter in the sampling, practices writing the letter in a given chart, and concludes the lesson with underlying English letters that have the same sound as the practiced Greek letter. Greek letters are reviewed through a matching exercise, where the Greek phonetic spelling is paired with its corresponding English word. Also included is a section devoted to writing out verses of scripture in Greek (the English translation is conveniently provided).
The material layout is organized, and the bold large type makes this non-threatening and student friendly. This format works. A Greek Hupogrammon is a very practical way to enhance your child’s Greek lessons. Your kids will find this type of copy work fresh, fun and challenging. My 10-year-old son is breezing through this and retaining what he’s learning without difficulty. Ancient Greek has suddenly become his favorite subject-I never saw that coming!